"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Homestead Happenings!

We have been very busy over here at our little homestead!  My son built a wonderful fence to surround my garden, and we got it all ready and finally planted.  We have sprouts coming up and I'm so excited!  We planted: beans, beets, carrots, garlic, onion, lettuce, pickling cucumbers, zucchinis, pumpkins, and tomatoes.  Some things are coming up, and some are not, so...we shall see!

We got our dairy goats!  We were blessed to know someone who was looking for a nice home for her two cute goats.  She gave them to us along with several supplies.  We will breed them in the fall, and then they will kid in the spring and we will have milk!  The girls and I are very excited!  I am looking forward to a new adventure of making butter, cheese, yogurt, and soap from the goat milk.
Mia belongs to Annamarie

Mia is on the left; Lola is on the right.  Mia is Lola's daughter.


Lola belongs to Abigail







(sorry for the gap but the computer will NOT fix it!)
We have fresh pork on it's way to our freezer, as several of our pigs have a made their field trips to the slaughterhouse.  We also have a sow who appears to be pregnant again, so more piglets are on the way!  Our chickens and ducks are laying well, so I am thankful to have a good supply of fresh eggs.

I recently acquired a water bath canner, so I'm looking forward to doing a lot of canning this summer.  I'm very excited to can, make lots of jam, and make pickles (if my cucumbers would sprout that would help)!

Homeschooling is winding down for the year--yay!!  We are on our final week, and looking forward to the time off to work on all the other projects around here.  I'll be finishing up my plans for the fall and will post them on here when I'm done.  First, I have to prepare for my son's 16th birthday party coming up this Saturday! 

Busy times....fun times!!!

1 comment:

  1. I would really like to learn from your experience with goats. How you keep them in, if you have any trouble, how much it costs you...I know this is specific, but we really want to do this, and I know I can trust you to share how it goes as we are in similar circumstances! :D Love to you friend!--S

    ReplyDelete