"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Monday, June 13, 2011

The Serpent is Still Lying

I used to get so annoyed at Eve when I would read the story of her in the Garden of Eden.  What an idiot, I would think.  How could she listen to that stupid serpent?  Really, come on!

Here's the thing, though: you and I are no different.  We all still listen to the "serpent".  He is still whispering lies in our ears today.  He still says, "Did God really say...???"  And sometimes.....we listen.

I am grieved by the way the world is listening to his lies today.  I am even more grieved by the way so much of the church is listening.  It is getting worse and worse as the years go by, as a great falling away begins to occur, and people begin to gather teachers around them to tell them what their itching ears want to hear...

"Did God really say that the wife has to submit to her husband?  No, that can't be right, God wouldn't say that...what he really said was that wives and husbands submit to each other...he said that the husband is the head of the wife, but that's not really what he meant, because the word "head" means something entirely different, so really...God didn't say a wife is supposed to submit to her husband.  So, you're good...no submitting, nope...you're off the hook!"

"Did God really say that there is a hell?  No, of course not, God is too loving to send anyone to hell.  He wouldn't do that!  God is love and accepts everyone, so everyone will end up in heaven some day, so don't you worry about a thing!"

"Did God really say that homosexuality is a sin?  No, that was just an old testament thing, it doesn't apply today.  Jesus came and He is all about loving and accepting everyone, no matter what their sexual orientation is.  It's all okay...Jesus doesn't mind!"

"Did God really say that young women are to be keepers at home and obey their husbands, or they are blaspheming the word of God?  Oh no...that was just a cultural thing, meant for Paul's culture and the time he lived in.  It doesn't apply anymore.  So you go, girl....get out there and get that career....your kids will do great in daycare, it's really good for them--it teaches them social skills!  And that's what those public schools are there for.  Your kids need to be away from you all day so that they can learn to function in the world...yep, it's good for them!  They need to be socialized!  It won't harm them a bit...they'll thank you some day!"

You want the truth?  I'll tell you the truth.  I don't care whom I "offend" or anger.

Yes, God said quite clearly that wives are to submit to their husbands.  Several times.  I don't care if you like it or not...that's what God's Word says.  You can try and twist scripture and retranslate verses all you want, but you will be wrong.  Check the original greek.  It says what it says and God means it, and all Scripture is inspired by God, so it doesn't matter one bit that Paul wrote it.  And God doesn't change, so if he meant it then, then He still means it now!

Yes of course there is a hell!  Jesus spoke about it many, many times.  If there was no hell, then what would be the point of Jesus suffering and dying the way He did?  He died to save us from hell.  It is what we deserve.  God doesn't send people there, they send themselves.  He has offered a free gift to EVERYONE who will accept it...the gift of eternal life and salvation from hell.  He offers it by way of His son, Jesus, the only worthy spotless lamb who could die to take away the sins of the world, then rise again to defeat death.  Accept this free gift, and you too can go to heaven!  This is the TRUTH!

Yes, homosexuality is a sin.  Period.  Scripture states this several times, in both the Old AND New testaments.  Yes, we love the homosexual.  But that doesn't mean that the behavior is okay.  Go, and sin no more!

Yes, yes, YES...women are to be keepers at home, AND obedient to their husbands!  And, YES, they are  blaspheming the Word of God is they aren't.  It says this in Titus 2, plain and simple.  It is scripture, and all scripture is given by inspiration of God, useful for teaching in ALL times, not just in Paul's day in his culture.  Women are to be home, helping their husbands, caring for their children, and managing their homes, and if they are out working at a career then they are out of God's will and blaspheming the Word of God!  I know this statement will make many women angry, but please....as our pastor always says, "don't shoot me, I'm just the bread delivery boy!  God said it...take it up with Him."

I could go on and on, but after typing all that up I feel like I need to come up for air!  Yikes.  I feel like a misfit in this world.  I am focused on following the Lord, and yet even in the church I feel like I don't fit in. 

"Well, how do like that?  Even among misfits we're misfits!" (Sorry...line from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer"...but it's how I feel!)

I'm coming off my soapbox now.  Thank you for listening.  And please...don't listen to the serpent's lies!

6 comments:

  1. LOVED this post! I LOVE God's truth and His ways are so good. We just have to remember we are a remnant and not many will follow God and His ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! So very true. The Word of God is as sharp as a two-edged sword. It divides.

    Even today, God is separating the wheat from the tares, in preparation for entering His Kingdom when He deems timely.

    We are to be set apart..sanctified. We do not belong here. I find myself very much alone anytime I leave the home for any reason, except church. While I used to love to do things..go places..indulge a little in the pleasures of this world, now for at least 10 years or more, they are just empty. Now, it's become so strong that I actually feel sick sometimes in the presence of our culture at work.

    Come Lord Jesus Come! Your beloved are faithfully waiting..and it's hard to be here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Wonderful post!! Thank you for not being afraid to stand up for Truth!! I admire your boldness!
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post!! Another great job my sweet friend! :D --S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Preach it, AS a young women for Christ, it is extremely hard to tell my relatives that the bible states that women are keepers of the home. Many of the womens in my family do not aregee nor do they support this . When I mention this scripture they avoid it by saying that this was for Paul's times and does not apply today . I am engaged to be marry by March 2012 and it is my goal to be a keeper of the home. Thank you for your bold encouragement .

    ReplyDelete