|Our humble home in the snowy woods.|
I am currently in a preparedness situation! We have been snowed in for days, with no power and no water. There are many things that I did ahead of time that I'm thankful for, and there are some things that were neglected that I've added to my future preparedness plans. Actually, most of the neglected items were on my list to "to dos", but didn't get done because we just haven't had any money lately. Anyway, I thought I would share what I've learned during this time.
Ways I was prepared:
- A house full of food, including a pantry of canned goods
- Stored drinking water (phew!!)
- Stored washing/flushing water
- A working generator with gas stored (it wasn't enough, but thankfully we were able to obtain more)
- Laundry had been completely done before the power/water disappeared, so we haven't ran out of clothes (so far).
- I stocked up on diapers and bought baby wipes (I don't always have wipes, when we're broke I just used a wash cloth. That would have been tough with no water!)
- A full bottle of hand sanitizer (very handy! stock up on it!)
- Stored matches and candles
What I wish I would have done to prepare:
- Stored more drinking water
- Big one: I wish I would have stocked up on paper plates, bowls, plastic utensils, and cups! Yikes--I have a pile of dishes I can't wash! Well, I've washed some, but it's tough, so mostly they're just sitting there waiting for running water. Do this!
- Stored more fuel for generator
- Stocked up on more canned meats: salmon, chicken, beef, etc.
God bless you as you prepare and care for your families!