"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Friday, August 13, 2010

Gluten Free Breakfast Bagel


I went gluten free out of necessity in August of 2008.  I hadn't had a bagel since then....until recently.  A few weeks ago, I walked into PCC, and lo and behold at the front of the store there was a huge display of gluten free goods that I had never seen before!  Actual SLICED (yes, you heard me right) bread, cinnamon rolls, muffins, and YES....bagels!  I could hardly contain my excitement as I threw things into my shopping basket.  I was dreaming of one of my favorite snacks that I hadn't been able to eat in ages:  a toasted bagel with cream cheese and jam.  Then of course other ways to eat a bagel came pouring into my mind, including the breakfast bagel that I made this morning.  To make it, I toasted half of a bagel, buttered it, then spread it with mayonnaise.  While the bagel toasted I fried an egg, then put it on top of the buttered/mayonnaised bagel.  The finishing touch was sharp cheddar cheese shredded on top of the egg, then the whole thing warmed in the microwave for about 30 seconds.  Yum!  Simple and fast, and quite delicious.

These bagels, along with bread and cinnamon rolls, are put out by Udi's.  If you're gluten free, check them out.  They are very good, but also a bit expensive.  But for those of us who won't get bread or bagels otherwise, it is worth the cost.  I hear the cinnamon rolls are excellent and I'm excited to try them out next!

No comments:

Post a Comment