"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Monday, August 30, 2010

Piggies

I can't believe this--our baby pigs were born 2 weeks ago and I keep forgetting to blog about it--yikes!  So here we go.  I need to get to bed soon but must type this up first!

It was a sweltering hot August morning, and for some reason that I forget, we stayed home from church.  And it was a good thing, because our poor hot sow went into labor!  She had all the signs, so we had been watching her.  At one point Annamarie went out to check on her again, and I suddenly heard her yelling, and it turned out that 3 piglets had been born!
Unfortunately, there was a very traumatic moment when the poor little pink one was squashed and suffocated by Spot (the mother).  Annamarie was absolutely hysterical and crying, and I felt so bad...we did everything we could but could not get Spot to get off of him.  She was in pain and working on delivering more piglets, and totally oblivious to the fact that she was lying on her baby.  Thank goodness no more babies were killed.  She ended up having 8 in all, 7 surviving.  All in all it was a fun experience for the girls.  It was quite crazy though...running in and out and grabbing piglets to hold onto them in a box so they wouldn't get squished...Ted hurrying like a crazy person to get them out without being attacked by the mom!  Craziness.  Of course...Annamarie, aka Fern, named the runt Wilbur.  I keep watching out for a spider web in the pigpen containing a spider named Charlotte!


Sooo....there ya go...the piggies!  Very fun for girls.  And now, we are getting excited for the start of the school year!  Finally....just today...I now know that all of my books have been ORDERED.  Hallelujah!  The place that we are ordering through has been taking FOR EV ER to place the orders, and it has been a huge test of patience for me.  But now it's done, and I'm looking forward to the many boxes from many different vendors arriving in many different trucks soon!!  Then that should give me about a week to go through books and finish the necessary lesson planning, and be ready to start on September 13th.  Phew.  Also in our schedule for the year will be gymnastics and piano lessons for Abby, and horseback riding and piano lessons for Annamarie.  Andrew will be taking Driver's Ed (do you KNOW how much Driver's Ed is???  $650???  REALLY???), Spanish, and Flash Animation along with his other regular courses.  Should be a fun year!

I don't know about your kids, but MY kids sometimes get into stupid arguments.  Because of this, I offered a (small) prize to any of my kids who could memorize 2 Timothy 2:23-24:

"Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels.  And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful."

The girls memorized it today...let's hope they get what it means and it is helpful!!

I am off to bed...the house is super quiet and everyone else is sleeping...so off I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment