"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Saturday

Today's activities consisted of bits and pieces of many different things.  Regular housework, grocery shopping, picking up a few cheap little school supplies, watching our pregnant sow who will be having her babies at anytime, working on the schoolroom, working on my home management binder, making menus,  making a fruit fly trap...you know, everyday life.  I'm excited to convert our guest room into a school room.  I want to keep a guest room, but we really need a study area for the girls, and we are all really excited!  The plan is to take the mattress off of the guest bed and slide it under Abby's bed for storage, so when we do have an overnight guest we can pull the mattress out.  Long term plan is to get a futon, but I never have money to spend so I have to wait patiently for a free one.  Then I'll put the guest bed frame in storage to use for Adam someday when he's big enough.  Next, we'll move Annamarie's desk into the now schoolroom, and put it next to Abby's (conveniently there is a normally annoying beam on the wall separating the two desks).  Then one of the rocking chairs from the guest room will be moved into the girls' room for a cozy sitting area, in order to clear more space in the schoolroom.  I'm currently hanging up maps and charts for decorations, and I have the letters of the alphabet to put on the top of the wall above Abby's desk, along with a 100 chart and a calendar, and her name.  Above Annamarie's desk will be her name and a multiplication chart.  We hung some pretty curtains in there to brighten things up.  The girls are excited!  Andrew already has a nice study area downstairs; unfortunately in all the years of his life, I have never been able to muster a hint of enthusiasm for school in him.  I promise to post pics of the schoolroom when it is finished!

Since I made up my menu for the week, I thought I'd share in case anyone needed any ideas or inspiration.

Sun breakfast- cereal
Sun lunch- Turkey sandwiches, apples
Sun dinner- BBQ pork ribs, potato salad, corn

Mon breakfast- Waffles & bacon
Mon lunch- hot dogs & tater tots
Mon dinner- Turkey pot pies (homemade, one gluten free), salad

Tues breakfast- Fried eggs & toast
Tues lunch- Tuna sandwiches, pickles, apples
Tues dinner- Chicken parmesan w/brown rice noodles, sauteed zucchini and red peppers, bread

Wed breakfast- French toast and fruit
Wed lunch- Macaroni and cheese, fruit
Wed dinner- Salmon, sweet potatoes, peas, salad


Thurs breakfast- Scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns
Thurs lunch- Cheese sandwiches, fruit
Thurs dinner- Quiche with turkey and broccoli, roasted potatoes, fruit (depending how the day goes, I may make some muffins or banana bread to go with this)

Fri breakfast- cereal
Fri lunch- leftover quiche or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
Fri dinner- burgers, oven fries, baked beans

Sat breakfast- pancakes
Sat lunch- tuna sandwiches and fruit
Sat dinner- Italian Zucchini-Polenta bake, salad, bread

Breakfast usually includes a smoothie or fresh squeezed orange juice.  This is what the kids eat for breakfast and lunch; I sometimes just grab something else, and Ted always has oatmeal and a smoothie (he is a creature of habit) for breakfast...AND I somehow pack his lunch in the craziness of breakfast making.  Note:  There is a lot of turkey in this week because I cooked a 20 lb turkey for one of our dinners last week!

1 comment:

  1. I bow down in the presence of your amazing organization. I'd take notes but then I might have to use them and I wouldn't want that. But I'm very happy for you and the girls getting things ready for a new school year. It sounds like it'll be loads of fun. Hopefully they'll learn something too! ;)

    ReplyDelete