"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Amazingly Delicious Gluten Free Brunch

*Crustless Quiche
*Roasted Potatoes
*Banana Muffins

I just made this "brunch" for dinner, and oh man was it good!  If you're not gluten free, still try this...it can be converted to glutened food quite easily.  This would work great if you're having company over for brunch, and you could throw in a platter of fresh fruit to go with it.  It's a bit of a challenge for me to post recipes, because I don't always measure--I just throw things together, but I will do my best.  I also wish I had pictures, but my crazy life does not often afford time for photo shooting.  When the food's done, we're hungry, and I've got to seize the opportunity to eat when the baby lets me!  Anyway, here are the recipes:

Crustless Quiche
  • 4 eggs
  • 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup sliced green onions
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
  • 4 slices of bacon, cut in approximately 1/4 pieces
  • 2/3 c. chopped broccoli (I used frozen)
  • 2 cups shredded cheese
  • 2 T. rice flour (can use regular flour if not gluten free)
Put the cut bacon in the microwave and cook until crisp, around 3 minutes.  Thoroughly grease a deep dish pie plate.  Beat eggs in a large bowl; add buttermilk, onion, salt, pepper, nutmeg, bacon, and broccoli.  In a small bowl, toss grated cheese with flour, then add to egg mixture.  Pour into pie plate ad bake at 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes, or until knife inserted near the center comes out clean.  Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Roasted Potatotes

Okay, this is the recipe where it's hard to get specific on quantities.  I chop up potatoes in bite-sized pieces, as much as I think I will need for my family.  Red potatoes are my favorite, but I usually use russets because they are cheaper.  I douse them with "lots" of olive oil (again, your preference...but I like quite a bit), some salt, pepper, and a couple of cloves of minced garlic.  I do these several differents ways, depending on what I have on hand and what I am making with them.  Sometimes I sprinkle some Mrs. Dash seasoning on them, other times I add parmesan cheese or rosemary.  Use what you like.  Toss it all together and bake at 400 degrees for around 40 minutes, until soft.  If you leave them uncovered, they will crisp up a bit, which I like, especially with a brunch type of meal.  If you prefer them softer, then cover with foil.

Banana Muffins

Oh these are SO good!
  • 1/2 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/2 cup sorghum flour
  • 1/2 cup tapioca flour
  • 3/4 tsp. guar gum
  • 1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/3 c. oil
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 4 ripe bananas, mashed
(If you are a gluten eater, just replace the flours with 1-1/2 c. all-purpose flour and omit the guar gum, and cut back the baking soda a tad.)

Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.  In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, oil, vanilla, egg, and bananas together; add to the dry ingredients and mix well.  Grease 12 muffin cups and fill with batter.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Now, I tweaked temperatures and times, in order to cook all three of these at once.  I believe I cranked the heat up to 400 degrees, and put the potatoes in for about 15 minutes or so...then I put the quiche and 6 muffins (because I couldn't fit all 12) in and turned it down to 350.  After that I baked it all for 30 more minutes, took out the muffins, put in the other 6 muffins, and left the quiche and potatoes in for another 15 minutes or so.  Something like that....did that even make sense? And my oven is slower because it is propane....so maybe yours will cook faster!  Enjoy!!  And let me know if you try this, and what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment