"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sunday Dinner

For years, Sunday dinner had been on my list of things to add into my life.  I kept talking about it, dreaming about it, and saying that "I must start doing Sunday dinners!"  I love Sundays.  Jesus, church, family time, leisure...and a nice meal.  Nowadays, basically every Sunday, I put either a chicken or a roast of some sort in the crock pot before we leave for church.  Later in the day, I scoop broth out of the crockpot, put it in a pan on the stove...add some cornstarch, salt, and pepper to make gravy. 




(I know, I know...photography is NOT my gift.)


I put some potatoes on to boil and make mashed potatoes, then cook some kind of veggie.  Lately it's been green beans pretty much every time just because we have an absolute ton of them in our freezer!  It really is a simple meal, and works very well for Sundays.  No stress or anything.  There is just something old fashioned and homey and traditional, and just....RIGHT about Sunday dinner.  It blesses my husband, blesses my children, and pleases my Lord.

However, I also know that--unfortunately--we have an enemy who does NOT like our Sunday dinners. Our enemy satan goes around like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.  He comes to steal, kill, and destroy.  The sermon in church this morning was on that passage of scripture in 1 Peter 5.  He wants to destroy our families.  I've noticed that whenever I purposefully set up a family dinner at the table, including just tonight, it seems to turn into a battle.  Baby cries, kids tease each other, someone decides to be disrespectful to a parent, someone is arguing, etc.  When that happened this evening, the Lord reminded me of todays' sermon.  I thought, "ah....of course".  The enemy will do anything he can to try to steal, kill, and destroy our families.  Sunday dinners represent unity, love, family, tradition...all those things that BUILD a family.  Of course when I seek to build our family, he will attack in any way possible.  I'm thankful that the Lord showed me this, so I won't get discouraged but will keep plugging away at building my family.

Keep plugging away building your family.  Don't let satan win by discouraging you.  Enjoy your family!  "And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9.  The Lord bless you!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for this post, you have hit the nail on the head and I had never recognized it. Between someone pulling in the driveway, the phone ringing, dogs barking or some chaos in the chicken yard, there is always some nuisance going on to disrupt our peace and unity at the dinner table. I will keep plugging away at building my family and with the help of blessed women like you, I will continue to be inspired in the ways of our Lord. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete