"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Emergency D&C!

Wow, what a day!  I woke up thinking it was just an ordinary day...got Adam up and made a cup of coffee.  But then, I started bleeding heavily and passing some large clots. It kept going and going and soon I was bleeding way too much. Again.  Didn't I just go through this? (If you missed my last miscarriage, you can read about it here.)

So, once again, I was taken to the ER.  This time my husband was home, which was nice, and he was able to take me there.  From here on, it was like I was in the movie Groundhog Day. (Have you seen that?) It was like someone pushed a "repeat" button and did my last miscarriage all over again.  There were slight differences, but overall it was basically the same experience again.

First I was hooked up to an IV, then an ultrasound was done.  The ultrasound showed--sure enough--that the sac was still in my uterus, and there was a hemorrhage around it.  Then the ER doctor came in and did a pelvic exam, and told me that my cervix was closed.  Meanwhile, they were continually monitoring my heart rate (because it was racing), blood pressure, and hematocrit (red blood cell count).  I layed there for a few hours being monitored, while the medical staff (slowly--the ER was busy) worked through getting all the information to all of the important people who needed to know.  Eventually, my OB's partner (my OB was on call at a different hospital) showed up and came in to talk you me.  Fortunately I really liked her!  She came in and did yet another pelvic exam (I think I've had just about enough of THOSE for awhile!), and proceeded to tell me that my uterus was super tiny, the bleeding had slowed way down, and since I had passed some more tissue when I went to the bathroom at the hospital, she was sure that I was done and had passed everything.  She then told me what the options were for what to do next: do a d&c, though I may not need one, try some medication to help pass everything, or just send me home since I was probably done.  I immediately declined the medication, and then told her that I was skeptical that I had passed everything, because last time the doctor said the same thing and I still had a big piece left in there.  I asked if I could please have another ultrasound before making a decision, because that would tell us for sure if anything was in there (seemed the simplest way to me, and I was surprised that they didn't suggest it).  She said that was fine, but she would be shocked if I had anything in there.

So, she did the ultrasound, and what do you know...the sac was still there!  My body is just plain dumb, and it just doesn't know how to do things it seems.  I had been bleeding SO much, passing huge clots, and the sac was just sitting there like it never intended to leave.  At this point, I had been bleeding so much, and my hematocrit was dropping more than they like to see, so they sent me right up to the OR for a D&C.  It hadn't technically been long enough since I had eaten, but they worked around that, because it was a bigger concern that I was losing so much blood.

So there you have it--my day today.  I am home from the hospital now, and glad it's done.  I sure wish I had been able to grocery shop before all this happened though, because we are out of so many things, and my family is trying to pull together meals from...well, not much.

Thanks for listening to my drama.  God bless!

8 comments:

  1. oh April! i have been thinking and praying about you all day and now i know why! i pray for comfort for you and some rest! ~hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi April,

    I am sorry to hear that this has happened. I will pray for your healing. I hope today is a much better day.

    blessings,
    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm already feeling much better this morning!

      Delete
  3. I miscarried twice within the last 6 months so I know how you feel,Praying for safe and full recovery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you--I am sorry for your losses as well!

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry, my friend! Praying for you and your recovery!

    Love, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry about all you went through. I'll be keeping you in prayer for healing. Wish I could send you a meal to help out. :) Blessings and quick recovery. Jennifer

    ReplyDelete